The BIG PARENTING question remains: “What is the essence, core purpose, or bottom line of our parenting?
What do we want to leave behind and instill our children, and why?
At the end of our lives, what would we like to leave behind and pass on to our children?
What heritage, legacy, or inheritance will you leave?
What will they say about you when you are gone?…and you and I will be gone one day!
More importantly, how will they live when you are gone?
Our job as fathers and parents becomes paramount and hugely important for our kids!!
I believe some of that legacy incorporates the following…
- A foundation of faith in God
- Our/Their hopes ,dreams and visions
- Learning contentment and satisfaction
- Children learning to know who they are, and God
- Our kids understanding their strengths and weaknesses
- To know they are loved
- To understand fundamental knowledge and wisdom
- To own and live out real values and ethics
- To live a life of thankfulness and appreciation
- To possess as their own a love for God, people, the earth, and all living things
- To be able to apply wisdom, knowledge, and understanding… and so much more.
Why are we leave a legacy is as important as what we leave as a legacy.
You must ask yourself why you’d like to be a parent of the highest quality?
What is in it for you, your child, the world at large, and your children’s children?
What is your answer?
I want to leave my children a large heritage:a legacy for generations to come. I have a BIG vision for this stuff.
But herein lies the challenge…
I’d like to leave an inheritance for my children and to keep it for them, but I also need to keep them for it.
What I mean to say is I want to leave my children a large inheritance, but also to prepare my children for that inheritance. Acquiring and keeping an inheritance for them, but also keeping them for that inheritance is key to my motivation.
I know I must love them unconditionally, making them my priority and focus, and to accept and respect and receive my children. These are starting points for a quality inheritance for generations to come.
If not you, who?
If not now, when?
So why not you, and why not now.